Fortnite Creative v23.20 Update
The Fortnite v23.20 update brings the Shockwave Hammer, Falcon Scout, Guardian Shield, and Reboot Van from Fortnite Battle Royale! v23.20 also brings an upgraded Ball Spawner device, new visual variants for the Wildlife Spawner, custom post-game options expanded to all islands, plus updates and bug fixes for devices, islands, and tools.
The Shockwave Hammer is a melee weapon that not only does damage, but can also launch the player, a player's squad, or their opponents away from the point of impact.
After charging up the Slam attack, players can launch others by releasing the primary fire control while they are jumping in the air. They can launch themselves and others by holding primary fire control when the hammer impacts the ground. It's like the Shockwave Grenade, but on a giant hammer!
You can place Oathbound Chests on your islands to give players a random chance to find a Shockwave Hammer.
The Falcon Scout is a mechanical flying companion that players can use to mark opponents, open containers, and carry loot to themselves or their teammates. There's a price to pay for this powerful tool: while guiding the Falcon Scout, the player is vulnerable! It's up to players to determine whether using it is worth the risk.
You can place Oathbound Chests on your islands to give players a random chance to find the Falcon Scout.
For players, a little cover goes a long way. The Guardian Shield deploys a protective barrier in front of the player that blocks incoming damage. This shield can provide players with mobile cover while they are on the move. It can also be thrown on the ground to create a stationary point of protection. The shield is temporary, and changes color to indicate how much time players have before it runs out.
You can place Oathbound Chests on your islands to give players a random chance to find a Guardian Shield.
Reboot Van Spawner
Place the Reboot Van Spawner on your islands to give your players the ability to revive eliminated team members. You can customize which teams or classes can use the Reboot Van, as well as trigger events when the Reboot Van is recharged or when a set of players has been rebooted.
Reboot Cards drop from eliminated players, but only if the eliminated player has teammates who could pick up the card when it is dropped. There also must be a Reboot Van that the eliminated player's team or class can use. There is also a new option on the Settings tab of My Island, called Drop Reboot Card on Elimination that is set to If Can Be Rebooted by default. If you set the option to No, Reboot Cards don't drop for any eliminated players.
New Ball Spawner
We've been working to create a new upgraded Ball Spawner that uses our modern physics system, and we’re excited to have it released in v23.20! Along with improved physics behavior, we've added other options and adjustments as well. For example, you can adjust the size of the ball directly, you can customize the maximum distance range, and you can set the ball to trigger events when players touch it.
With the release of the new Ball Spawner, the previous Ball Spawner device is now known as Ball Spawner (Legacy). In the future, the legacy Ball Spawner device will be removed.
Note: Information on the new Ball Spawner has been added to the device document for the legacy version of the device. However, you can find a link to the new sections in a note at the top of the page.
New Variant Models for Wildlife
New visual variants have been added to some of the animals spawned by the Wildlife Spawner. If you set the Type option to Chicken, Boar, or Wolf, you'll see the Biome Variant option displayed. By default, these animals have the Classic variant appearance, but you can also select Medieval or Snow.
Custom Post-Game Settings for All Islands
Custom post-game settings are now available for all creator-made islands! Previously, this was only available when creating a Battle Royale Island in Creative. To customize the post-game experience on your island, go to My Island > UI and scroll down to the Post Game Type option. Here are some of the options available if you set the Post Game Type option to Custom:
- Custom Post Game Show Scoreboard
- Custom Post Game Victory Animation Style
- Custom Post Game Victory Animation Color Set
- Custom Post Game Victory Animation Text
- Custom Post Game Victory Animation Sub Text
- Custom Post Game Defeat Animation Style
- Custom Post Game Defeat Animation Color Set
- Custom Post Game Defeat Animation Text
- Custom Post Game Defeat Animation Sub Text
- Custom Post Game Tie Animation Style
- Custom Post Game Tie Animation Color Set
- Custom Post Game Tie Animation Text
- Custom Post Game Tie Animation Sub Text
- A new Galleries section is now live on our official documentation site!
- Mutator Zone: Added the Allow Jumping option so creators can turn player jumping on or off.
- Added the Oathbound Chest to the Chest & Ammo Gallery device.
Updates to Upgraded Devices
HUD Message Device (Opt-In Upgraded Devices Only): For Islands that have converted to upgraded devices, the HUD Message Device has been refactored and has several new options:
- Placement: A new Custom option has been added. This exposes an Anchor point for the message, and the position is offset from this anchor. When using Custom offsets, remember that other devices might have different screen sizes, so use the appropriate anchor point.
- Layer (0-4): You can now have multiple HUD Messages on screen at once! Each Layer can display a HUD Message and has its own message queue.
- Priority: This defines how important the message is. Messages are queued in order of Priority, with Priority 0 being the most important.
- Allow Multiples in Queue: Determines whether you can have multiple messages from the same device queued up to display at once. Previously the default behavior was to always allow this.
- Queue Timeout: If a message has been queued to show, this determines how long it waits before removing itself from the queue. This is useful for messages that are only relevant close to the time they should display.
- Queue Message for Join in Progress Players: This allows messages to be displayed for players who join the game after the message was sent.
- Re-Evaluate Messages on Show: Messages are only displayed to players they’re valid for when they're requested. If a player changes teams after messages have been queued to display, this option will check if any messages are now invalid, and the device won't display them. For example, if there's a message to display to Team 1, and a player swaps from Team 1 to another team, this option will prevent messages directed at Team 1 from displaying to that player.
- Fixed an issue where players could not place the Skydome device.
- Fixed an issue where props with the Prop Mover device attached stopped moving after colliding with another prop.
- Fixed an issue where join-in-progress players did not see the Water device filling up.
- Fixed an issue where using multiple props with the Prop Manipulator device caused the game to disconnect.
- Fixed an issue where players became stuck when they crouched and fell into the volume of the Water device.
- Fixed an issue where items appeared on top of the Item Spawner device and caused the item limit to be reached as a result.
- Fixed an issue where spawned guards did not attack players that were within range if the Team option was set to Wildlife & Creatures.
- Fixed an issue where the Grappler Glider failed to hit the aimed target.
- Fixed an issue where items registered with the Capture Area device still floated over the device even after they were deleted from it.
- Fixed an issue where the Tank acceleration audio was muted during its movement.
Fixes for Upgraded Devices
- Fixed an issue where players could place more devices than allowed by the original limit after they converted their island to upgraded devices.
- Fixed an issue where the asset removed by the Trick Tile did not reset after a match ended.
- Fixed an issue where the Quickbar did not display icons from copied assets.
- Fixed an issue where grass was spawning on asphalt materials on Tilted Towers POI island.
- Fixed an issue on the Tilted Towers POI island where the pavement overlapped the sidewalk on the northwestern side of Tilted Towers POI Island.
- Fixed an issue where some assets from the Ring Gallery A were missing.
- Fixed an issue where the Battle Bus in a Battle Royale Island was silent.
- Fixed an issue where the Target Bots in the Battle Royale Island were creating long load times during the start and end of matches.
- Fixed an issue where players experienced rubber-banding in 100-player matchmaking games.
- Fixed an issue where public players could join private Battle Royale Island games.
- Fixed an issue where the scoreboard was inaccurate when playing with Target Bots in the Battle Royale Island.